Posts

Showing posts from February, 2008

Finishing Up the Quick Carpet Interior

Image
Another Saturday.....rainy day, good for working in the basement but bad for letting models dry......

A couple of blog entries back I went over using "Softflock" and acrylic hobby paint as a quick substitute for more time consuming carpeting things like "Kens Fuzzy Fur" or using the Carpeting Fuzz Stuff from Testor's. This week I finished up the interior that I used as a test bed for the quickee-carpet experiments.



I started by painting the dash with Tamiya Black #X-1. After this first coat was dry I covered the top part (the one that will show through the windshield) with liquid mask from MicroMark because every time I do this invariably I scratch or get some goo on the top of the dash, and this time I wanted to avoid it. I removed it for the final picture but will apply it again before the final assembly.




Next I painted the big dials with Tamiya chrome silver. Then once that was dry I painted the inside of the dials with Tamiya Clear Yellow #X-24. Now, I can&…

Photo Fun--Basics of Photographing Model Cars

Image
The good.....


The bad....


The ugly.....




As you probably know, modeling can lead to many other interests. It certainly has for me. My latest cross-pollination is photography. That's the topic of this week's entry: photography as it pertains to this oddball hobby we have chosen.

There are about a zillion internet pages about photography. For my own edification as much as anyone elses' I will reiterate some of the most basic ideas for photographing models and other similar objects, as I understand them.

Without further ado....

First let's talk about a camera's lens. It seems strange to me that light can be "bent" but that's how a lens works. I can dunk a pencil straight down into clear water in the sink it seems to bend as I slowly shove it under the surface, so obviously bending light must be possible. A correctly made lens bends the light on one side to come to a point of convergence on the other side. The distance between the lens and this point of conv…

Quick Carpeting Part II

Image
Another week, another few hours in the basement trying to get rid of the stress of a stupid job and the rest of life's BS's. So here is the result of this week's effort--some more work on the "quickee carpet" technique I was messing with last time (see description below--last time's post).

The overall look of the carpet was too light so I took coats of Tamiya Green and combined it with about 1/2 alcohol and brushed it on. The quickee carpet takes paint just fine and you can see that now the carpet's several shades darker. I found that the extra paint seemed to make the carpet more "stiff" but it still looks pretty good.

Behind the rear seats I tried something new. I took some Testors liquid Glue, brushed it on the plastic directly, dropped a few fingers of softflock on (the link again: Soft Flock link here. Tapped it to knock of the stuff that didn't sitck. Then let it dry for about 10 minutes and painted right on it. The result (I was h…

Carpeting on the Quick.....Softflock for the Impatient: Part I

Image
It's raining like crazy here so I thought I would get a headstart on next week's installment. OK, if you've built many models you've probably fooled around with flocking or some sort of scale carpeting to make your interiors look better right?

I have, and to date I have been disappointed, usually, with the results. First of all, putting in the "carpet" isn't as easy as it looks. The white glue ends up somewhere I don't want it, so you end up (say) carpeting the dash or center console--oops. So next I tried masking it, but the masking took up some of the carpeting when I pulled it up.

The white glue also seems to take a long time to dry and for me seems a bit too thick.

So I tried to figure out a better way and in the process found a method that can lay down OK looking "carpet" in about 5 minutes with a dry time of about 12-24 hrs. I know our wonderful hobby is all about patience, but sometimes I don't want to wait days for something lik…

Alclad II Experiments Part III--Results So Far

Image
Here's a quick buildup of some of the parts I was experimenting with last week. Can't believe it's the weekend again already! So last time I messed around with different base coats (different colors and types of paint) to see what basecoats looked best. Then covered 'em with Alclad II chrome lacquer to see how it looked. Not being satisfied with that I got out some of my trusty Tamiya Acrylics--and I have to say now that I **love** Tamiya paints--to see what effect they had when applied over the whole shabang.

Reading up on this the consensus seems to be: don't bother putting clears or whatever over Alclad--if you're after home-grown chrome it just undoes whatever effect you're after. Not being sidelined by this sort of thing--ever--I went to work on it anyway. Note that I wanted to try Duplicolor lacquer clear over some of the Alclad but I was fresh out and didn't have time to go to Kragen to buy more so this didn't get done. Oh well.

Anyway, as …