Posts

Showing posts from July, 2008

Old Skool Rod--Scratch Built Interior Panels

Image
Awhile back I started messing with Super Sculpey polymer clay for scratch building. This week I decided to mess with it some more and came up with an interesting technique for building interior panels from scratch.



Now, I figure this technique isn't a brand new and unique discovery--I am sure dollhouse makers, artists making jewelry out of Sculpey, and about a thousand other people already know about it, but, I stumbled upon it almost purely by accident and don't recall seeing it on any other Sculpey site, at least not yet.

Here's the background. The interior panels are for a 1:25 scale replica of a my dad's old skool Texas hot rod. Back in the 50's Dad made the 1:1 interior panels out of thick cardboard; as a high schooler my dad couldn't afford fancy upholstery work, so he fabricated the interior door panels himself out of whatever he could find.

And as I saw it, to duplicate this home grown look my scale panels had to be built from scratch as well.



The first …

Texas Old Skool Rod--Z-ing Up the Frame....

Image
As I said last time, the first step to the Texas old-skool rod build was to figure out how to capture the stance and how radically to Z the frame.

Major breakthrough?
After studying the photos of the 1:1 car and doing some mock ups with popsicle sticks it dawned on me: the way the 1:1 car was Z'd was really easy!

As far as I can tell, the lowest tangent of the rear brake drums were on the exact same horizontal plane as the lowest part of the frame.

I figure the unknown mechanic cutting up frames in Texas in the late 40/early 50's didn't have complex jigs to work with or anything automated. He probably was a WWII trained mechanic who could weld anything to anything, and the resulting frame was probably tough as a tank, but as far as anything else involving the Z, it had to be as easy as it could be to build.

So this mechanic (not my dad) must have put the rear axle/differential/brake drum assembly on the floor of his garage, cut the chassis, moved the rest of the frame in …

Texas Old Skool Hot Rod--Introduction

Image
Before I go into this next project, a confession: I come from a family of car nuts. My dad and my brothers are really into cars. Some kids had a basketball hoop in their back yards growing up--my family had a hydraulic car lift (really!)

Cars. Where would the Lamms be without them? Back in the 60's and 70's if my dad wasn't out fixing some crazy car (with my brothers' and my help, whether we liked it or not), he was having us wash a car (with no soap--just water and a shami--sure as shootin', can't wreck that paint!) and if there were spots on the windshield, you can bet we'd be out there doing it over again....

If we weren't washing a car, we were out with dad buying a car. If we weren't out buying a car, we were at the junkyard getting parts. You get the idea.

My dad is a successful automotive historian, book publisher, and non-fiction writer--now pretty much retired, but still as sharp as ever, and always ready for anything related to cars. And …

25 T Kitbash--Finished!

Image
I am stuck doing Microsoft updates for all the systems at work but the good news is I can remotely log in and push the updates out from the computer at my workbench. So while the gears are turning at work, I had time to finish up the 25-T. Beats going in on the weekend any day....






So here it is. The AMT "Parts Pack" chrome frame was built box stock, and it was a pain to build. As I mentioned in an earlier post a lot of parts for the frame didn't line up, and in that it's all chrome made just building it stock hard enough.

I didn't lower the front end, or even replace the straight front axle with a drop axle, which would have made the build less "high boy" looking. But I am still happy with the stance, even if it's not as low as what I originally had in mind.




I was dreading the wheels and tires part of this build for good reason. The Parts Pack frame doesn't leave a lot of options for ways to attach the wheels and tires. So I had to improvis…

25 Model T Kitbash--Paint it Up, Scotty

Image
I had so much fun using Alclad's "Prismatic" paints on the last build that I just had to try it again. I thought and thought and thought about how I wanted to paint his build--two tone? Candy? Flames? But in the end I decided to do something pretty crazy with solid colors.



It's hard to represent the true effect of Prismatic paint using still photos....the paint turns bright red/copper when viewed from one angle and a sort of yellow-green when viewed from another. The amount of light makes a difference too--the red looks almost brown in lower light and bright fiery red in bright light. A dramatic effect, not something I'd want to use on every build but something fun and different to try once.

The body was primed with Duplicolor primer/sealer and then painted with 1 mist coat and 3 color coats of Duplicolor Enamel/Acrylic black. Then after 24 hours of drying time (the Duplicolor label said to wait 7 days but I just couldn't wait that long--impatient I know)…