Old Skool Texas Hot Rod--Finished!!!!



I started the project with pictures like this....




...and ended up with this. It's been a couple of months in the making but the old Skool Texas hot rod is finally done....






I didn't get all the details right--the windshield isn't high enough for instance, and the front lights (mostly scratchbuilt) aren't quite the right shape. But the stance is pretty close, and the overall "feel" of the build matches the spirit of the 1:1 car, I think.



There are lots more little details I could do, but it's time to move on--I find myself rushing on the old skool rod build since I want to move onto other things, so it's a good time to stop.



The license plates were scratch built (like many other things on this model). I used photoshop, since I couldn't find the "State O' Texas": 50's era 1:25 scale license plates anywhere.) I used the "reduce image" feature in Photoshop, which took the 3" original artwork to .375", and worked great. Another important thing I came away with from this project: enamel paints are really good for certain things, like painting metal scratchbuilt parts. I had gotten rid of almost all enamel paints, since they take a long time to dry and have other issues, but a few of them are back now.




When I think of all the work that went into this--the resin body prep, the Z'd stock frame, the kitbashed motor, the scratchbuilt seat, the plaid decal upholstry, and so on--I'm a bit surprised that I finished at all, but here it is.



This project was a challenge to my modest skills, but it taught me a lot about the early history of hot rodding and was a fun project to work on with my dad. And it got me away from work for a few hours every now and then. Overall, time well spent.


Popular posts from this blog

Back to work!

VW classic car

55 Chevy Badman--Finished--Better Late than Never