Showing posts from 2010

66 Olds 442: BMF and ClearCoat

For the past several months I have been trying to create "clean" build of a 1:25 scale Olds 442....there are two things working against this: clean builds take a lot of time, and I don't have a lot of time; and, being a bit absent minded and sloppy, doing things in a "clean" manner doesn't come very easily to me.

Last time I wrote about the color coat, using a mix of Jacquard acrylics I whipped up, applied with a cheap airbrush to the body.

Now it's time to add the trim...for this I used something called "Bare Metal Foil" or, as the hobby magazines sometime call it, "BMF".

This comes in a single 4"x8" (?) sheet and costs about six bucks. Think of rice-paper-thin, uber-fragile tin foil with a semi-sticky adhesive on the back and you have a sheet of BMF. You cut out strips with a #11 Xacto knife, stick it over what needs to be chromed, tamp it down with something like a toothpick, and, using a very (very!)sharp knife, carefully…
Richard Haines não é como o comum dos homens que utiliza a máquina fotográfica para gravar os estilos que vê pelas ruas, em vez disso, ele usa a sua paixão pela ilustração! Uma espécie de Drawtorialist...

66 Olds 442: Color Coat at Last!!!

I can't believe another month has gone by! Here we are again--after Thanksgiving already. Where does the time go?

From last time: still working on a 66 Olds, with an emphasis on a "clean build"--something that doesn't come easily to me!

This morning the body was still in primer (I've taken to using Plastikote T-235 Gray--seems to orange peel less than Duplicolor's similar product). If you've followed previous posts, the '66 Olds kit (AMT/Ertl 6268) was mastered with trim for a vinyl top. I used vinyl on the last two builds--and didn't much like the way either came out. So, off with the vinyl trim. But, it turns out, it was a lot (I mean, a LOT!!) of work to grind and sand away the large trim strips that run the length of the body. After weeks of sanding and finishing I figured the body work was as good as I could get it.

And: with a brief break in the rainy weather I figured it was finally time to apply the color coat to the body.

But what kind …





necklace 1 euro in Vandoma


Estava eu já quase a subir as escadas do recinto da feira da vandoma, com um ar de criança amuada por não ter encontrado nada que me enchesse a alma, quando passei por um canto e vi esta preciosidade abandonada à minha espera. 1 EURO? não posso acreditar! pensei de seguida: pronto, não me vão servir! e não é que serviram? THE KID IS HAPPY!

I couldn't believe when i saw this treasure waiting for me in the local market ( second hand goods) . I couldn't believe too when the seller told me the price: 1 euro! i thought: this will not fit in my foot - but i was wrong! They are perfect!

1 euro in Vandoma 



PORTUGALFASHION Felipe Oliveira Baptista

Pode não ser o mais elaborado mas foi o que eu desejei agarrar e vestir, enquanto os meus olhos brilhavam. Minimalismo, um jogo de cor e praticidade, e está feita uma peça perfeita.

66 Olds--Trial and Error....

So from last time, I'm gearing up to paint a 1:25 66' Olds "Clean Build". And what could be more clean then a snarky candy paint job?

My trial of using a metallic paint (in this case Krylon Metallic Gold), covered by acrylic color coats, is a disaster. The paint did not spread correctly and resulted in a splotchy finish....

I tried a variation of this a second test body, this time the psuedo-metal finish was covered with clear "acryl red" from Testors, shot with an external mix airbrush at 20 or so psi--same results--everything beads up, nothing spreads, and it looks awful.

Back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, final prep work is going on on the body. I am down to little dings and nicks here and there......

....circling problem spots then trying to correct them with superglue and some careful sanding and filing.

As long as the CA glue is out: while waiting for things to dry I continue to work on an "Orange Crate" body; I have no idea what this …


|  Black tee - mango // skirt and leather jacket From mum's closet // shoes - zara  |
Just a few more pieces from my mum's closet. At this time i have so many pieces for this winter, and i have not paid a cent. Its great to find this clothes. The other day I bought a simple black bag for 1 euro. I will show it in the next few days!




In zara
    É difícil resistir a qualquer sapato minimamente agradável à vista, ainda mais quando eles são bem altos e compensados. A zara versão on-line só me tem feito chorar por mais e por mais... welcome my new perfect high-heel!!

Still working on 66 Olds--Paint Test!

What happened to August? For that matter what happened to September? Time hurries on....I wanted to do something different for paint on the 66 Olds build, so I am trying to use a different undercoat, and some transparent acrylics over them. Instead of just using plastic spoons or whatever, I thought I'd use the bodies left over from the 71 RoadRunner build.

The first body came from Ebay, and since it smelled like ciggies, the second one came from Ebay too....

I used Plastikote primer and after 24 hours sprayed on a single coat of Krylon Real Gold Metallic. The paint covers very well and covering with a single coat was no problem.

One of the unexpected results was that this gold paint shows up defects in the body like no one's bizness--like this huge sink mark on the hood of one of the bodies. It was interesing that many of the sink marks--and there were lots of them--existed in exactly the same place on both bodies. I guess there was a problem in the molding process, and no…